The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea is a member of Rotary International, an international membership organization made up of people who share a passion for and commitment to enhancing communities and improving lives across the world. Rotary clubs exist in almost every country. Our members change lives locally and connect with other clubs to work on international projects that address today’s most pressing challenges. Being a member is an opportunity to take action and make a difference, and it brings personal rewards and lifelong friendships in the process
RI is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed or political preference. There are more than 32,000 clubs and over 1.2 million members world-wide. The stated purpose of the organization is to bring together business and professional leaders to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. Members usually meet weekly for breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is a social event as well as an opportunity to organize work on their service goals.
Rotary’s best-known motto is “Service above Self”, and its secondary motto is “They profit most who serve best”.
For more about Rotary International, why don’t you visit their page, too
The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea meets:
WHERE: At the Dias Angling Club off Somerset Street, Kenton on Sea
WHEN: Every Tuesday
TIME: 17:00 for 17:30
CONTACT: President Ginny Reed 082 466 6598 or Michael Wilmot 082 569 2136
In the beginning, and as far back as November 2006, the Rotary Club of Port Alfred conducted a survey to investigate the viability of a new Club at Kenton on Sea, a number of their members being resident at Kenton. In January 2007, an Extension Sub-Committee was appointed, under the Chairmanship of Dave Slater. This led to a Rotary information evening on the 10 July 2008, to which all interested persons were invited. In August and September further meetings were held and on 24 September 2008, the inaugural Board meeting finally took place. The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea was chartered by the Rotary Club of Port Alfred on 24 February 2009, with 33 Charter members. Charter President Bruce Steele-Gray received the Charter from District Governor Jaap Steyn at our Induction Dinner held on 4 April 2009.
Rotary International lays down Five Avenues of Service which are a philosophical and practical framework for the running of Clubs worldwide. These are:
- Club Service, involving actions a member should take within the Club to help it function successfully.
- Vocational Service which has the purpose of promoting high ethical standards in business and professions, recognising the worthiness of all dignified occupations, and fostering the ideal of service in the pursuit of all vocations. The role of members includes conducting themselves and their businesses in accordance with Rotary’s principles.
- Community Service comprises varied efforts that members make, sometimes in conjunction with others, to improve the quality of life of those who live within this Club’s locality.
- International Service comprises those activities that members do to advance international understanding, goodwill and peace by fostering acquaintance with people of other countries, their cultures, accomplishments, aspirations and problems through reading and correspondence and through co-operation in all club activities and projects designed to help people in other lands.
- Youth Service recognises the positive change implemented by youth and young adults through leadership development activities, involvement in community and international service projects, and exchange programs that enrich and foster world peace and cultural understanding.
This framework has been our guideline for establishing all our projects, listed elsewhere, bringing us to where we are today – a flourishing and enthusiastic Club of 44 members – the 2nd largest in District 9370.
2018 - 2019: Sandi Peter
2017 - 2018: Peter Reed
2016 - 2017: Tony Swift
2015 - 2016: Mike Peter
2014 - 2015: Louis Hattingh
2013 - 2014: Stella Swanson
2012 - 2013: Colin Armstrong
2011 - 2012: Barrie Brown
2010 - 2011: Bridget Carthew
2008 - 2010: Bruce Steele-Gray
THE BOARD 2019-20:
President: Ginny Reed
President Elect: David Howard
Past President: Sandi Peter
Secretary: Michael Wilmot
Treasurer: Tony Swift
Vocational Service: Kevin Bates
Youth Service: Sandi Peter
Foundation: Bruce Steele-Gray
Club Admin: Will Braithwaite
Membership: Michael Wilmot
Public Image: Pippa Steele-Gray
Club Service: Louis Hattingh